Friday, July 17, 2009

The Paddle Scarf



This is probably one of the funniest looking scarves (and I say that very lovingly) I've ever made but I attribute it all to the itchy yarn I selected and the fact that it looks like an oar. Nonetheless, it was a fantastic way to learn several different stitches in one project. I guess I take back the ugly comment because my knitting guru (www.sifudesignstudios.com) and dear friend created the pattern, but as much as I admit it is a genius way to learn, I will never wear it but will always appreciate it's worth.

So keeping in mind I already "knew" how to knit when I started the beginning knitting class with Lisa, this was the scarf that literally changed my life. Okay that is a bit dramatic, but during the birth of this scarf I not only mastered knitting "Continental" but found a true love of the craft.

To start this "paddle" we chose a basic wool yarn with size 8 bamboo "sticks" as I like to call them. Using the garter stitch cast on, we started with the basic garter stitch for 40 rows. The garter stitch is simply knitting on top of knitting so both sides show the same thing. We then reversed the fabric by purling on top of the knit row and then alternating purl and knit rows. For several rows after each switch, we worked with the Stockinette stitch which is knit one whole row and then purl one whole row. After several switcharoos, we learned the rib.

I like the ribbed stitch as it's a bit more advanced looking. The rib stitch is simply a knit 2 purl 2. Something to keep in mind about this stitch is the ribbing actually puckers the yarn so that you lose some serious width. For example, when going from the stockinette stitch to the rib stitch, the scarf went from approximately 6 inches across to perhaps 4 inches (see photo) successfully creating the paddle look.

Repeating all above in the reverse order, the scarf was complete... and the fascination of knitting was official. Although there was scarves made before and will be countless projects to follow, I owe my skill and obsession to this silly scarf.

No comments:

Post a Comment