Sunday, July 26, 2009

Baby Prentice's Blankey

I made a very soft and fuzzy baby blanket for a girl that I work with's baby who was born 2 days after my own birthday this year. Her name is Erin and she works on my team at Hubbard but out of her home in Austin Texas. We've become good friends and I wanted to make something for the birth of her first child, Connor Jackson Prentice.

I originally had a cute pattern that I had created with my knitting-guru, Lisa, however when I started working with the yarn I had bought for the project, I realized you couldn't even see the stitches. I felt it would just make more sense to do a simple garter stitch. Then I came up with the idea to switch my size 7 circular needles with a size 15 every few rows to create a "stripes" effect. It came out pretty cool. I used a "lemon lime sorbet" color that was some kind of cotton nylon blend... and as uber soft and yummy as it feels, it was a true pain in the tush to work with.

The issue I had with this yarn was that a.) it kept falling apart on me and b.) since it was essentially 2 pieces (one a white cotton fluff and the other almost a colored floss) that I kept splitting stitches thus increasing on almost every row.

I have to admit that the blanket came out as more of a baby-cape as it was so much larger on one end then the other, but, oh well... I'm pretty sure baby P won't care TOO much. It's super soft and I'm hoping the time it took to FINALLY FINISH this sucker will outshine the fact that it's totally homeade looking.

Welcome Baby Connor and congrats to Erin and Mark Prentice :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment