Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Garter Stitch

The Garter stitch is the first basic stitch that any beginning knitter can execute to make a simple (but still awesome) scarf. Depending on the yarn used, you can whip up something easy and quick that still makes a great gift.

I made this rainbow scarf using a fun sock yarn I found on-sale at an overpriced boutique in the South Loop (which will remain nameless because we no longer like the owners of the store). I couldn't really tell how the scarf would look as the yarn obviously was a ball of green and other various colors, but I was happy with the way it turned out. My mom was also happy and has claimed this as hers, so Merry Early Christmas :-)

I used size 9 straight needles and 2 balls of 100gram sock weight yarn. I cast on 20 stitches and then just knit the entire thing. I added on the tassels using a basic slip knot selecting from the remaining yarn only the greener shades (which you can't see from the picture). If she's lucky, I might just make a matching hat next...

No comments:

Post a Comment