Friday, August 14, 2009

The Ruffle Scarf


This is one of the easiest scarves to make and it's one that collects a ton of compliments. The trick is the yarn...

I used one called Solo 194 which I bought at an expensive little boutique shop in the Gold Coast, Chicago, called "We'll keep you in Stitches". You need about 3 balls of the stuff and size 4 needles (tiny!). You can also buy the "Ruffle" yarn that Lion Brand makes, however they only have it in 3 colors: black, cream, and tweed. Honestly I've seen some other colors here and there online, but they are not cheap and I can never find the same site again! Here is a place to find the Lion Brand though, which is a little less expensive: http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/yarn-lion-ruffles.html

To "cast on" I just threaded the top side (the one that doesn't curl under) of the tape yarn using 5 stitches about an inch and a half apart. It's the puckering that makes the ruffle along with the thick yarn. To add a new ball, I simply overlapped the end of the old one with the beginning of the new one making sure the yarn was in the same position (with the curling part at the bottom). Here is a site that really helped me the second time I had to "remember" how to make this: http://learntoknit.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi?store=/stores/eyarn&faqKey=263

Just make this as long as you'd like it and cast off normally. I have made several (see pics) and they whip up very quickly. They're a great gift and look way harder than they actually are to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment