Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Dave's Girly Hats


Two little sweethearts, Adelaide and Havana, are the daughters of my boss, Dave. I wanted to make them something cute and pink, partially because they are so darn adorable and mostly because I'm such a brown-noser (remember the boss's wife's wine coozie? yeah)... but really because I just love making stuff for kids.

I picked out this AWESOME yarn from a little yarn shop in the South Loop of Chicago in neon pink. It's just a chunky/bulky weight acrylic wool blend and required a size 13 needle. I also used a hold-along yarn called "bebop" by Crystal Palace that was a mixture of neon green, pink and whatever else fuzz.

For Adelaide, who's a bit older, I cast on 56 stitches on size 13 circulars holding the two yarns together. I just did a simple garter stitch so it would curl up at the brim. I did this for 6 rows around. Then I switched to size 11 needles and did about 4 more rows of garter and started the decrease.

For Havana, I cast on 48 stitches and followed the exact same process.

For the Decrease- I counted 6 stitches in knit, then knit two together. Then knit a row. Then 5 stitches knit, knit two together, then knit a row... so on and so forth until I knit two together all the way around. I used a darting needle to close the top.

For the pompom, I literally just wrapped both yarn around two fingers a whole bunch of times, tied it, and then cut the circle open and fluffed it out. Easy enough.

I know my boss will take a picture of them wearing these for me, so stay tuned :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment