Monday, December 20, 2010

The Cabled Bag



I had been thinking about how I could break out of my "Scarf and Hat" knitting plateau so I tried to find something that I could knit that wouldn't be a scarf, or a hat, or a disaster. This Cabled bag actually came out really cool, but I can't decide what to do with it now that it's made. I'm not sure it's cool enough to actually use as a bag. I thought about giving it to one of my friends (who ironically enough ended up getting a scarf) for Christmas, but I didn't want to put them in a situation like "hey, here's this really ugly purse that you'll now be forced to use since I handmade it and you'll feel guilty if you don't." I know, I'm so thoughtful.

Anyway, I will probably make another because I bought 3 sets of handles and it was fun to make, soooooo, if anyone would like a bag that looks like this, please let me know so I can knit for a purpose. :-)

I found the pattern here

but following is another illustration of the pattern:

STITCH EXPLANATION:

CABLE PATTERN
Set up Row (WS): K1, *k2, p6, rep from * to last 3 sts, end k2, k1.
Row 1 (RS): K1, *p2, 3/3 LC, p2, k6, rep from * twice, p2, 3/3 LC, p2, k1.
Row 2 & all WS rows: K1, *k2, p6, rep from * to last 3 sts, k2, k1.
Rows 3, 5, & 9: K1, *p2, k6, rep from * to last 3 sts, p2, k1.
Row 7: K1, *p2, k6, p2, 3/3 LC, rep from * twice, p2, k6, p2, k1.
Row 11: Knit.
Row 12: Rep Row 2.

STITCH EXPLANATION
3/3 LC (3 over 3 left cross)
Slip 3 sts to cable needle and hold in front, k3, then k3 from cable needle.


BACK
Cast on 60 sts.
Work Set-up Row.
Work Cable Pattern Rows 1-12, 3 times, Rows 1-8 once. Slip sts to st holder.

FRONT
Work same as Back.

FINISHING
Sew side and bottom seams.

Handles
Transfer sts from first st holder back onto needle. From WS, insert crochet hook through first purse Handle and draw up a loop. Bring yarn around ring and draw a second loop through the first loop and through the first st on needle. Slip st off needle. Continue to work crochet wrap in this manner across remaining sts, then continue to work crochet wrap into ring Handle alone until ring is covered. Repeat for sts on other st holder and second ring Handle. Weave in ends.

Now, I actually followed this pattern word for word and the ONLY thing I didn't end up doing was covering all the handles with the yarn because I got halfway done and decided it looked better like it was. I even used Lionbrand yarn- the "thick and quick" in a basic "taupe" color. I thought the cabled pattern was really nice though and came out well. I'm thinking I may use the same pattern to make a cabled scarf. But then there I go again with the scarf thing... I am going to be the old lady with too many scarves and a cat. Ugh.

SO there you have it. I shall call it the "cool to make but ugly cabled bag that nobody wants" project. Unless of course somebody wants it... LMK.

No comments:

Post a Comment